Orange Strawberry and Clove Mead

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
brwmistr
Favourite Beer: English Bitter

Orange Strawberry and Clove Mead

Post #1 by brwmistr » 4 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I have been working on all kinds of projects in my fermenting room. He, He, :stirpot:
I have made this recipe and its in the first stage fermentation. I made Joe's Ancient recipe and I made the mistake of over spicing it. I took 1.5 years to smooth out the flavor but WOW worth the wait. Sad part is...it's all gone. Only made 3liters as I didn't want to through out all that honey if it went bad. Well now I have some faith in the recipe I'm making 11 liter batch. My recipe is below:

Spiced Orange and Strawberry Mead (11 Liter batch)

4.375 Kg (9.625 Lbs) Honey No Name Brand
1 Liter Corn Syrup No Name Brand
2 Large Navel Oranges
1 Kg Frozen Strawberries (you guessed it,No Name Brand)
1/8 Tsp Yeast nutrient (Wyeast Brand)
1/8 Tsp Ground Clove
1 packet Lavlin 1118 yeast
11 Liters water (yields (6)-1.5Ltr bottles))

Procedure:
After sanitizing all equipment pour Honey, Corn syrup and Yeast Nutrient into the fermenter and add the boiled 1.5 liters water and put stopper in and shake very well until dissolved. Let this sit while you Wash the oranges well. Cut oranges and strawberries into small pieces skin and all so you can remove it from the carboy when done and put this into carboy.
Add other ingredients (spices) if any and shake this again very well. This helps to add oxygen to the mixture. You can also O2 this with a tank if you have one for a minute or two using a fish tank stone.
Once this is done make sure the temperature in under 40 degs Cel to pitch the yeast. The frozen strawberries help to control the temperature.
Add yeast and shake again until mixed well. Put air lock in place and leave in a dark place for 2 months at a room temp of 21-24 deg Cel.
It should have stopped after this time and cleared somewhat.
Strain out into bottles and store for up to a year for best results.

I just loaded this to youtube in the fermenter look for Orange/Strawberry Mead.
brwmistr

Re: Orange Strawberry and Clove Mead

Post #2 by brwmistr » 3 years ago

UPDATE:
This batch is the best so far, opened a bottle, very smooth after only a month on the rank. Its after taste is that of strawberry light clove and orange. I left the other (9) 1.5 liter bottles to mature for one year before opening. I will use fresh strawberries next time as the frozen ones have very little flavor left once frozen.
Bodhi

Post #3 by Bodhi » 3 years ago

thanks for sharing brwmistr. I've been curious. And mead is on my to-brew list.
brwmistr

Post #4 by brwmistr » 3 years ago

Awesome,
I would use less clove as this really packs a punch even at a 1 tsp.
Enjoy the Mead. My final grav was 18%

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”