AWESOME WINE KIT FIND HURRY !!!!

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

AWESOME WINE KIT FIND HURRY !!!!

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

Costco at the moment has a great deal on their 2X7L wine kits at $56.oo and check the pics out on what comes with the kit.

2 : 7L bags of grape juice, corks, heat shrinks, Oak chips, and all the sulfates etc. I thought this was a great deal as usually a kit that makes only 23 lts is usually around $59.oo

Cheers I’ll post how they come out, but fyi i may replace the EC1118 with 71B1122 white wine yeast as I’m not a huge fan of the 1118 effects…… ignore that my SWMBO says she wants it dry now :bow:

:drunk: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :welcome:

rmajor55
Favourite Beer: Erdinger Weisbier

Re: AWESOME WINE KIT FIND HURRY !!!!

Post by rmajor55 » 5 years ago

Good find!
Robin Major - The Pickled Kilt Brewery

"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure." - Czech Proverb

Tap #1 - Quad pre-hopped extract Frankenstein ale thing - Turned out like a caramel amber
Tap #2 - Extract Hawaiian Pale ale - Yummo - Kicked :(
Primary - Nothing
On deck - Modified Cooper's IPA, 80 Acre clone

rwayne
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by rwayne » 5 years ago

I bought a similar kit for $39.99 at Costco but it didn't have oak chips. It was one bag Cab Sauve and one Barolo. Both are in secondary now.
Next to Brew - Smashbomb IPA Clone
Primary - Tankhouse Ale
Secondary - Mad Trapper Double IPA
Kegged and Aging - Hawaiian Pale Ale, Bees Knees Pale Ale, Winter Moon Spiced Apple Cider
On Tap - Holy Cow Chocolate Milk Stout, Hay Bale Blond Ale

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer » 5 years ago

I have been making those kits from Costco for quite a few years - less so now that I have gotten back into brewing, but I still buy them now and then - only when on sale! I contacted the company once and was told that the shelf life of the kit - before use - is a couple of years and so when i buy the two pack kits I need not be in any rush to do the second one - I drink a lot more beer than wine these days!

Sure can't beat that price, especially with all the stuff that comes with the kits, corks, capsules and labels. I suppose they wouldn't stand up to scrutiny if you were any sort of wine connoisseur - but then, I can hardly even spell that word!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

Dondeemon
Favourite Beer: wheat ale

Post by Dondeemon » 5 years ago

I buy them all the time, and they come out good. But right now the grapes are coming in and the crush is on :) so no kits as the demi jons need to be filled with the good stuff.

Olfart

Post by Olfart » 5 years ago

I have never done a kit before, I just made witch's brew at home from scratch (homemade wine)

Do you need any special equipment? Like a wine filtering machine? Or will it settle out just fine via racking?

Wingeezer

Olfart wrote:I have never done a kit before, I just made witch's brew at home from scratch (homemade wine)

Do you need any special equipment? Like a wine filtering machine? Or will it settle out just fine via racking?
In my view, you don't really "need" a filtering setup, the wine will clear quite well on its own, but I do use an electric filter for my wine and it really does give it an extra sparkle of clarity & for me I think it is worthwhile - I don't make wine so much now that I am brewing, but whenever i do, I always filter the wine.

I would start without the filtering setup, see how you like the wine, then maybe add the filter once you know wine making is for you.

I use this filter -

http://www.buonvino.com/minijet.html

bought it many years ago for maybe around $125 or so. it uses a filter pack of three rectangular filter pads like thick blotting paper that are a "one use" product - ie you chuck them after filtering one batch of wine. I imagine that if you had two batches ready to filter at the same time you could do two on one set of filter pads. The pads are about $2 a set.

I have been thinking about trying this unit with my beer, I think some people do. So far have not done so - some folk say it can detract from the quality of your beer.

Brian.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

I've never filtered a wine and generally have very clear wines. The 'secret' to clear wine without a filter is to siphon the wine off the dregs into a new carboy on what would be (according to the kit instructions) bottling day. Then let it sit another few months before bottling.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Wingeezer

Warthaug wrote:I've never filtered a wine and generally have very clear wines. The 'secret' to clear wine without a filter is to siphon the wine off the dregs into a new carboy on what would be (according to the kit instructions) bottling day. Then let it sit another few months before bottling.

Bryan

No way to know if a filter would be of any benefit to you then I guess without actually trying it. Perhaps it would do nothing for you.

Truth to tell, I thought that my wines (I only make whites) could not be made more clear with filtration as they looked perfectly clear to me.

Nevertheless, I got talked into trying a filter. To my surprise, I was really impressed with the difference it made and how much more clarity and brightness the wine had after filtration. So I bought a power filter unit and filtering has been a regular part of my process ever since.

I suppose the difference would not be as noticeable with reds.

Brian.