Surprisingly Good

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Dondeemon
Favourite Beer: wheat ale

Surprisingly Good

Post by Dondeemon » 5 years ago

I could not stand the fact that I an empty primary fermenter sitting around, so I thought I would make some cider. I used 23 liters of Allens apple juice and 2 kg of brown sugar and pitched it with a wine yeast. I was very surprised at how good it turned out. I bottle conditioned it and brought it to my campground everyone loved it. No more strongbow for me will be making more real soon.
:rockon:

rwayne
Favourite Beer: IPA

Re: Surprisingly Good

Post by rwayne » 5 years ago

Question for you on this... Did the cider turn out to be very dry? I have a cider that is in secondary right now, about 4 weeks after pitching the yeast. I sampled it and it is yummy but very very dry and around 7.5%. Of course my wife was hoping it was going to taste like Somersby, lol. I am thinking with cider that the yeast will turn all of the sugar to alcohol so the only real way to get it off dry and sweeten it up a bit is to add some sugar / flavour after the fermentation and aging. From what i have read perhaps adding potassium sorbate to stop fermentation and then add apple flavouring / sugar or something to sweeten it up a bit is the way to go. It all depends on what you like i guess but thought i would run this by the forum.
Next to Brew - Smashbomb IPA Clone
Primary - Tankhouse Ale
Secondary - Mad Trapper Double IPA
Kegged and Aging - Hawaiian Pale Ale, Bees Knees Pale Ale, Winter Moon Spiced Apple Cider
On Tap - Holy Cow Chocolate Milk Stout, Hay Bale Blond Ale

Dondeemon

It is an off dry, definitely not as sweet as Somersby but not as dry as Strongbow either

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 5 years ago

I make cider fairly often - I just use 3 ltr PC pure apple cider and a pack of coopers yeast in a gallon jug- ferment for 3-4 weeks at 65 degree. My wife loves it, not too dry when finished. Try using a beer yeast next batch
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

rwayne
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by rwayne » 5 years ago

I used White Labs Cider Yeast on the batch I have aging right now. I used 20 litres of Rougemont apple juice and 6 litres of PC cider and boiled it down to 23 litres to get the OG up. I'll definitely try a beer yeast next time. Cheers
Next to Brew - Smashbomb IPA Clone
Primary - Tankhouse Ale
Secondary - Mad Trapper Double IPA
Kegged and Aging - Hawaiian Pale Ale, Bees Knees Pale Ale, Winter Moon Spiced Apple Cider
On Tap - Holy Cow Chocolate Milk Stout, Hay Bale Blond Ale

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

Try the US04 it will attenuate to 1.008 or 6 and works well, just transfer to a secondary after a week or so as that yeast works fast.

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim » 5 years ago

Nottingham leaves it a little sweet as well. Or if too dry a packet of splenda per bottle leaves it just sweet enough to match a Somersby

Dondeemon

I opened one and put a little squirt of mio in it and it was awesome

vony
Favourite Beer: beck

Post by vony » 5 years ago

I agree with you!