which yeast do you think works best in your Cider ?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.

what yeast & sugar do you think makes a better Cider ?

Nottingham yeast
25%
US-05
25%
US-04
No votes
Champagne yeast ec 1118
No votes
Regular wine yeast red star or LALVIN 71B-1122
No votes
Wyeast 4766 or wyeast wine
No votes
White labs WLP775 or WLP wine yeast
25%
Freshman bread yeast
No votes
Not listed but will reply with the yeast I use
25%

Total votes: 4

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

which yeast do you think works best in your Cider ?

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

Just a quick survey on which yeast people like the most for the Apple or any cider they make. Also if you could please reply with preferred Sugar you like to use above all else I would love to hear it. :cheers: and Ty for participating.

I have used all the above myself and prefer the Nottingham the most, it seems to leave a true English Cider character behind, not too dry and it also leaves a Apple flavour instead of drying it out too much. Freshmans bread yeast is second LOL.

Brown sugar is my favourite to use in my ciders & I've tried it all, demerara, Belgium candi, grains mashed at 148f, white, corn, maple syrup etc but I like the light brown sugar the most.

SunyJim

Re: which yeast do you think works best in your Cider ?

Post by SunyJim » 5 years ago

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results ... nts-83060/
Read this CvilleKevin took a bullet for everyone, 80 single gallon batches with a different yeast in each.

"Yeast – the best ones so far (for the juices I used)

Nottingham – This has been my favorite yeast for several years. It works well for sweet ciders and cysers with pasteurized juice, although not so well for unpasteurized cyser. It cold crashes well with any juice. With just juice, no sugar, and cold crash around 1.004, it is outstanding. If you use sugar and bump sg up to at least 1.060, then you can stop fermentation with pasteurized juice by racking. You have to do either rack or cold crash to keep it from drying out all the way, as it tends to strip out the flavor if it goes all the way dry.

Safale S-04 – This is becoming my new favorite. It has a little fruitier taste than the Nottingham. It cold crashes well with any juice. If you use sugar and bump sg up to at least 1.060, then you can stop fermentation with pasteurized juice by racking. With unpasteurized juice, if you don’t cold crash and just let it ferment out to dryness, it leaves more of the apple taste than the Nottingham. It also works better for unpasteurized cysers. I haven’t tried a pasteurized cyser with it yet.

Saflager S-23 – This lager yeast has a similar flavor profile to Nottingham. It doesn’t do as well with unsweetened juice, but is good if you add sugar to bump the sg up to about 1.060. This is one that definitely improves with age. It was one of the best that we tasted last month. It cold crashes well.

Safale US-05 – This yeast imparts an interesting taste to the cider which reminds me a little bit of a pale ale. It works better with pasteurized juice – with unpasteurized it tends to knock out some of the body."