Mead, wine, and other Non-beer beverages

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
Chef-ryan
Favourite Beer: Whiskey

Mead, wine, and other Non-beer beverages

Post by Chef-ryan » 5 years ago

Good day guys and gals. I am wanting to get into Home brewing, Mainly wanting to try Mead, Doing 1 Gal batches to begin (till I Get a recipe I like so I wont be wasting 5 Gal of bad batch thats alcohol abuse).
What Would you guys thing I should get for equipment to begin ( I have Pots for the stove from 1L up to about an 8 Gal pot) and where would my best bang for the buck be for my purchases. I live In York region and work in Vaughan so If physical location for a store or pickup point is near there thats awesome if not I would not be against ordering online and getting it shipped.

Thanks

Ryan

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: Mead, wine, and other Non-beer beverages

Post by JimmehBrew » 5 years ago

Hey Ryan, mead is an expensive Looooong process, there is alot of info out there about it and I know it takes almost a year before in matures and if drank too early it will remind you of the inside of a woman's or man's purse LOL.

Randy over at Canadian home brewing supplies does have various kinds of honey for mead, but when you want to move into a 5gal batch you'll want to source out a bulk supplier I suppose. When you get the chance head over to http://www.brewingtv.com. There is an episode with a gentleman call Kirk about mead, its a good watch for anyone interested. :cheers:

Chef-ryan

Well I have Found places for honey where they will sell it 3.75 a lb from straight the honey farms. so yes the price per batch would end up being more then home-brew wine or beer but cheaper the store bought. Plus I can try maybe making a spiced batch for the winter :). I am patient and don't mind waiting for quality and am sure I will be able to figure out a good batch from bad batch when bottling it (I have tasted some pretty bad stuff in the kitchens :P). As for the equipment, I Have found Toronto Brewing Co. Sells the 1gal home brew equipment kit to get met started and might be going between both them and Canadian home brewing for my supplies tho I am debating arranging a pickup for the first kit so I don't end up with a broken Carboy (tho Im am sure it would be find shipping but rather safe then sorry).

JimmehBrew

:( On that note make sure the carboy is from Italy, my last 3 were from mexico and now in the dump. They shatter even from temperature change, the Mexican ones that is. :facepalm: :banghead:

Chef-ryan

Dont worry I will do my research and maybe even try to price out 1Gal kit from canadian Home brew ;), Maybe drop them a line .. still in planing stages of the purchase since I'm a young pup (just shy of 25) doing this and to some other issues I wont get into on here I have to find the appropriate time to spend the Initial money for equipment ( I Firmly believe in buying quality first time around.. :P)

Chef-ryan

Thought I would update you Jimmy, I did end up getting my gear from Canadian Home Brew, Now to find the time to actually brew a batch.

JimmehBrew

good luck sir, I have to brew this weekend, but haven't got off me arse to do it yet. lol :cheers:

Chef-ryan

The mead in in the primary..