Need Help Oaking Mosto Italiano Chardonnay

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
wineguy
Favourite Beer: Festa

Need Help Oaking Mosto Italiano Chardonnay

Post by wineguy » 5 years ago

Hi. I bought a Mosto Italiano Chardonnay kit. The kit contains TWO sachets of oak (which I already added to the fermentation pail). Neither say how many grams each pouch contains. My concern is, according to another internet post elsewhere. Other people have either received no oak sachets in their Mosto Italiano kit or only claim to have received one. No one mentions getting two. So is there supposed to be two sachets or one? Does anyone know how many grams are supposed to be in each one? Most importantly, what would be optimum amount of time to leave both of the Sachets of oak chips in the fermenting pail for a "medium" oaking finish? Can anyone help with this?

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Re: Need Help Oaking Mosto Italiano Chardonnay

Post by Winger » 5 years ago

Different wine kits come with different amounts of oak varying form none to 2 packets or oak spirals or a combination. Even kits from the same producer can vary from year to year. If you follow the instructions on the kit you should end up with a product as designed by producer. That said if you are concerned that your kit may be too oakey and you added the oak in a bag as some do to make racking easier, then simply remove the bag earlier. If you added the oak directly to your primary then there's not a lot you can do to cut down on the oak.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger » 5 years ago

Sorry wineguy, I hadn't caught that you added the oak in sachets, so you could remove them easily. As for how long to leave them, that may be something you need to experiment with to suit your own taste.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

wineguy
Favourite Beer: Festa

Post by wineguy » 5 years ago

So one year they can have two packets of oak and another year one or none(?) That would explain a few posts I read. Yes I was wise enough to put the toasted oak chips in bags to either remove one portion or two. I wanted a finish as though the Chardonnay was aged in a used oak barrel. A bit stronger than "subtle" and hopefully not overpowering. But I have no way of measuring in grams and can't guess the outcome as I have no prior experience. Instructions do not say how much oak or weight. It just say's to add if oak is supplied. I guess I'll contact the manufacturer for an idea on weight of packets and fumble my way through it. Thanks for your time!