Whole hive mead

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
pubspearliespints
Favourite Beer: nut brown ale

Whole hive mead

Post #1 by pubspearliespints » 5 years ago

Just bottled a variation of whole hive mead from Sacred Herbal beers or whatever that book is called. Five weeks fermenting and already tastes great. Looking forward to drinking theis next year.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Whole hive mead

Post #2 by Warthaug » 5 years ago

By whole hive, does that mean you're using unprocessed honey - i.e. the stuff with bits of wax and bees in it?

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
pubspearliespints

Post #3 by pubspearliespints » 5 years ago

unpasteurized and unprocessed honey plus some bee pollen ground in mortar and pestle, some propolis which I think the bees line the entrance to their hive with, and some royal jelly. got all of this stuff ant the local health food store. Skipped any boiling as I didn't want to inadvertantly pastuerize anything. Mrs pubs is now calling me a Druid. Bottled half of it as still mead and the other half primed with, what else? honey.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #4 by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Sounds good. I first tried "real" honey while in africa; the purified stuff we get here pales in comparison.

I'm quite curious how that will work out in a brew, how many of those flavours work through. Keep us posted!

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
pubspearliespints

Post #5 by pubspearliespints » 5 years ago

Well the preliminary sip I took before bottling was very encouraging. All the flavours coming through dominated by the pollen. Pretty excited by this mead and it couldn't have been simpler. Took a good 5 weeks to ferment out. I'll give it a try after Christmas and see how it's doing.
Diceman
Favourite Beer: Vienna Ale

Post #6 by Diceman » 5 years ago

Sounds interesting . I tried one of those 9 dollar bottles of mead from the liquor store and it was quite good . " I don't know anything about making mead " , What kind of yeast do you need to use ? I did notice they do sell yeast nutrients for mead but do you just use a good ale yeast for this ?
What kind of fermenting temperatures are we looking at ?
fermenter : high gravity fermented Vienna Lager , re-fermenting with abbey ale yeast . kinda experiment .
pubspearliespints

Post #7 by pubspearliespints » 4 years ago

Ok not to bang my own drum here, but finally tried a 12oz bottle of my sparkling mead, and let me tell you, those Druids knew what they were up to. Absolutely celestial! Gorgeous honey/honey suckkle nose, beautiful golden colour, delicious flavours similar to a toasty champagne. I won't bother with the Veuve at New Years anymore. This is now my go to sparking.
I used champagne yeast (Lav 1118) and fermented it slightly above room temp. As I said it took a good five to six weeks to ferment out. And I would say it needs a good year of bottle conditioning, and I'll keep a bottle or two for another year or so to see how the flavours change.
I would also recommend using wild flower honey as I think it has the most complex flavours.
I'm going to label it Stonehenge Mead.

Return to “Wine, Cider, and Mead”