Question about oxidized or 'cheesy' hops

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
twistandstout

Question about oxidized or 'cheesy' hops

Post by twistandstout »

I recently brewed what I think is going to be my most accurate IPA 'technically' speaking as I achieved my highest efficiency, fermented it bang on between 67-69F, and ended at what I think is an ideal FG for an IPA - 1.012. It went from 1.064 - 1.012 to achieve an ABV of 6.8% which puts it right around the mark for commercial west coast IPAs I've had. It's been ten days since brew day and I dry hopped it today. Currently, it really smells like a perfectly 'clean' ale.

The thing is, I'm using older hops from last fall for this one. They're all sealed and have never been opened (besides my home-grown cashmere hops that I vacuum sealed in October). This was my current dry hop charge:

1oz mosaic
1oz lemondrop
1oz centennial
1oz cashmere flowers

The thing is, the centennial hops were a 2oz pack that I first opened up 10 days ago to add 1oz to the boil. I smelled them and they didn't smell amazing today. I had just stored them in a ziploc in the fridge since I figured 10 days can't really hurt them. I had a half opened bag of citra that was sitting in my freezer for over a year in a ziploc bag. I smelled them today and holy crap the cheese. I had never experienced that stench on hops before. Promptly threw them out.

My question is, if my 1oz charge of centennial had a slightly questionable aroma and I still added them, do you think it will significantly impact the final flavor and aroma of the beer? I wasn't going to add them, but figured screw it and did in the end.
I am also considering popping by my LHBS and getting 2 more oz of pellets as a second dry hop charge. These ones would sit there for 3 days and then I'd do an additional 2oz for 2 days before bottling. I was going to go with something fairly pungent like simcoe and citra to potentially mask any off flavor from the centennial.

Please let me know what you think. I'd hate for 1oz of hops to ruin what is quickly becoming my most technically accomplished beer! :facepalm:

twistandstout

Re: Question about oxidized or 'cheesy' hops

Post by twistandstout »

Apologies for the double post since I can't seem to figure out how to edit - would 6oz in what will most likely end up being 3.5gallons at bottling be too much dry hop? I always abide by 1oz per gallon, but I'd like to experiment with 'over the hop' hopping to achieve a truly pungent west coast IPA.