Yeast suggestions... warm fermenting

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Yeast suggestions... warm fermenting

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 5 months ago

So it looks like summer is fast approaching, and I have no practical way of keeping my ferments cool. Instead, I'm looking to see what yeast strains people are using that they would suggest perform well at temperatures above 20C. I know that some of the Norwegian kveik strains have been used at 30C and higher with good results. I might go that route, and use a heat belt in the middle of summer!

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Yeast suggestions... warm fermenting

Post by brhenrio » 5 months ago

Research the kviek strains first, some are better performers than others in the heat. Definitely a good way to go.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 months ago

The voss strain of kveik is quite clean up to the mid 20C's, and can ferment as high as 39C (or so) while throwing a nice citrus character which complements IPAs quite nicely. It does have a bit of an acidic finish at those higher temps though.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 5 months ago

I picked up the Hornindal kveik blend from Escarpment labs... LHBS was out of Voss. Supposed to have more of a fruity character from what I've read. I'm using it to brew a cream ale this afternoon, so I guess I'll see how it turns out soon enough.

Going to pitch at around 25C and let it go from there.