Help needed bottling accident

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
gcn17
Favourite Beer: lager

Help needed bottling accident

Post by gcn17 » 3 months ago

Hi all, I have been brewing for about a year now. Mostly kits and some partial mash brews and I have enjoyed them all. I have a big problem I need advice about. 2 nights ago, I transferred a beer off the primary to a bottling bucket after 3 weeks. I was lifting the bottling bucket onto the counter and accidentally hit the spigot and broke it off. Beer was gushing everywhere. I quickly poured the beer back into the primary. I had to do this quickly as beer was going everywhere. Obviously I disturbed the yeast cake and exposed my beer to far too much air. I had bulk carbonated the beer with 250g of dextrose prior to the accident.

I am looking for some advice on how or if I may be able to save this batch. I simply capped the primary pail again with airlock and fermentation of the dextrose I added is going on right now. Was this the right move? Should I have bottled it anyway even though it was extremely cloudy from being poured onto the yeast cake? Is there anything I can do to prevent oxidation now?

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Help needed bottling accident

Post by brhenrio » 3 months ago

Yeast should take good care of the added oxygen because it is fermenting again. Wait for it settle out again and bottle. Too much yeast in bottles can cause gushers, I have had this happen to me in the past. RDWHAHB
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pil
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner
Tap 2:
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

gcn17
Favourite Beer: lager

Post by gcn17 » 3 months ago

Thanks, I thought it might be ruined and I considered tossing it out. I am glad I didn't.

twistandstout

Post by twistandstout » 1 month ago

How did this turn out? You may have inadvertently created one of them refermented Belgian beers! :rockon: