Best ways to lower mash ph

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
twistandstout

Best ways to lower mash ph

Post #1 by twistandstout » 1 month ago

I've been fiddling around with water chemistry and mash ph for the past few brews. I make small batches and always start with 5 gallons of store-bought spring water. The water profile is listed on the side so I can pretty accurately modify it with a water calculator online.

I've been brewing lots of light-coloured beers lately, so my initial mash ph is always too high. I've been using acidulated malt in the past few brews to bring it down along with some calcium chloride and gypsum to simultaneously adjust my water profile and decrease mash ph a bit as well.

What else could I use to effectively reduce ph to the desired range? I'd love to mash at 5.2 but don't want to add a ton of acid malt. I guess I could buy a small bottle of lactic acid?

What does everyone else use?
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Re: Best ways to lower mash ph

Post #2 by Reignman » 1 month ago

I use Lactic Acid and lately Phosphoric Acid. I don't have a PH meter, just use Bru'n Water to estimate it. Seems to work so far. The only time I use it is in Pilsners and other lighter coloured beers. I brew mostly AIPA"S which usually don't call for any PH adjustment in my recipes.
twistandstout

Post #3 by twistandstout » 1 month ago

An american ipa is quite a light beer, though. How would you get your mash ph in the ideal range without adding anything?
Reignman

Post #4 by Reignman » 1 month ago

It is my water profile that I use. I use Kal's recipes from his website called " The Electric Brewery ". His Electric Pale Ale is what I brew most often. By the time I add all of my water salts, my PH is around 5.35 ( estimated ). I use 100% RO water and build it up from there. Do you use any software to figure this stuff out? With my Pilsners I have to use around 4 ml of lactic acid in my mash to bring it down to around 5.3 from 5.6. Kal has a water adjustments column which he explains just what he does. Very informative.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #5 by brhenrio » 1 month ago

Reignman wrote:It is my water profile that I use. I use Kal's recipes from his website called " The Electric Brewery ". His Electric Pale Ale is what I brew most often. By the time I add all of my water salts, my PH is around 5.35 ( estimated ). I use 100% RO water and build it up from there. Do you use any software to figure this stuff out? With my Pilsners I have to use around 4 ml of lactic acid in my mash to bring it down to around 5.3 from 5.6. Kal has a water adjustments column which he explains just what he does. Very informative.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

This is how i have gained a basic knowledge of brewing water chemiatry as well.
In the fermentors: Cheaters Red Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3:
Up Next: NEIPA or Down the Drain Heferwiezen
Brewmaster22
Favourite Beer: Red ale

Post #6 by Brewmaster22 » 1 month ago

By a Hanna meter they are great (cheap investment to know we're you are)
:cheers:
twistandstout

Post #7 by twistandstout » 1 month ago

Yup, I use the EZ water calculator and it's pretty close to what my ph strips tell me my wort is at. While I was at the homebrew shop today I got a bottle of phosphoric acid so I can now use that to lower mash ph as well. I use spring water and I think its natural ph is around 7.
Reignman

Post #8 by Reignman » 1 month ago

I thought about getting a PH meter, but haven't yet.
twistandstout

Post #9 by twistandstout » 1 month ago

I ended up buying more acidulated malt and some phosphoric acid (10%). I figured, for my darker beers, I'll add some acidulated malt since it would require less of it, but for very light beers, I'll drive down the ph with some phosphoric acid since it's cheaper in the long run.

The homebrew store only sold 1 gallon bottles of lactic acid and they had none in stock. 1 gallon is a ridiculous, industrial amount and would most likely last me my entire life, although I'm not sure how long it keeps.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”