Brew Slam 2017 Competition - Toronto - Deadline: Nov 4th

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
ercousin
Favourite Beer: Fruited Lambic

Brew Slam 2017 Competition - Toronto - Deadline: Nov 4th

Post #1 by ercousin » 3 months ago

Brew Slam 2017 Announcement!

Visit this page for the full details: http://www.gtabrews.ca/brew-slam/

GTA Brews is excited to announce our third annual, nation-wide, homebrew competition for beer, mead, and cider; Brew Slam 2017 (#BrewSlam)! This is an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition, and also part of the Canadian Brewer of the Year circuit. Judging will be performed by BJCP ranked judges and pro brewers, using the BJCP 2015 Guidelines.

Entry Deadline: Nov 4th, 2017
Judging: Nov 10th – 12th @ Amsterdam Brewery
Awards Ceremony: Nov 18th @ Henderson Brewing Company
Styles Accepted: All BJCP Beer/Mead/Cider styles
Entry limits: 1 entry per classic style subcategory (1-26, C1, M1). 2 entries per specialty category (21B, 27-34, C2, M2-M4), must be different beers. Max 15 entries per person.

Account registration is open now! Visit the Brew Slam page for details on rules, prizes, and more!

About Brew Slam 2017
This will be our 3rd year running this competition, and we’re excited to make it even better. Last year we had; 689 entries (117% increase over 2015), avg flight of only 8.67 entries/pair, 52 judges, 22 stewards, entries from 9/10 Canadian provinces, and over $7,000 in prizes. This year, we expect to become the largest homebrew competition in Canada.

About GTA Brews
We are Toronto’s local, as well as Canada’s largest, homebrew club. Since establishing in 2013, we have worked to strengthen and grow the homebrewing community through education, events, competitions, and camaraderie. We bring Toronto area homebrewers together in person, and online, to create a friendly community where we share knowledge, talk shop, and provide feedback on each others homebrews. We welcome members of all experience levels including; potential brewers, new brewers, experienced brewers, and pro brewers.

BrewSlam2017Flyer.png
Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer
https://ericbrews.wordpress.com/

GTA Brews - Toronto's Local Homebrew Club
http://www.gtabrews.ca/
twistandstout

Re: Brew Slam 2017 Competition - Toronto - Deadline: Nov 4th

Post #2 by twistandstout » 2 months ago

I'm strongly considering entering this competition. I just won 2 medals at the Beau's Oktoberfest competition so that motivates me even more! :cheers:

If we can't attend the awards ceremony, will we receive news via email?
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #3 by brhenrio » 2 months ago

twistandstout wrote:I'm strongly considering entering this competition. I just won 2 medals at the Beau's Oktoberfest competition so that motivates me even more! :cheers:

If we can't attend the awards ceremony, will we receive news via email?

Good work. What medals did you get and in what category?
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
twistandstout

Post #4 by twistandstout » 2 months ago

I won a silver medal for my IPA and a bronze for my Saison :cheers:
ercousin

Post #5 by ercousin » 2 months ago

Wow! Congrats on medalling in an IPA category! Usually the toughest one!

Answering the questions above:
Results will be posted on the Toronto Brewing website shortly after the awards ceremony. Scoresheets will be posted on your participant profile (in BCOEM) for download around the same time.

We are working on a better solution to livestream the awards, but not ready to commit to that yet.

Entry registration opens tomorrow, and we have an exciting announcement I can't wait to share!

twistandstout

Post #6 by twistandstout » 2 months ago

Awesome. I am currently brewing a beer I want to enter....using fresh hops right off the vine :cool:

I'll either be shipping entries or having a friend bring them as he might be returning to Toronto in the next month.

Very excited for this one :stirpot:
ercousin

Post #7 by ercousin » 2 months ago

Don't want to spam too much, but the entry deadline is coming up Nov 4th! Now is the time to register your entries and planning drop off or shipping.

Full Details and Registration

Some exciting news:
- Gordon Strong (President of BJCP, and renowned homebrew author) will be judging all weekend Nov 10-12. Get feedback on your beer from Gordon!
- We have a ridiculous list of prizes, including a Grainfather system, tons of malt, gift cards, and brewing chemicals. More coming soon as well!

twistandstout

Post #8 by twistandstout » 2 months ago

Awesome news. I just regret I didn't start prepping for this earlier, but then again I don't have the system here to brew many batches simultaneously. I'll be entering three beers. I'm wondering when I should ship them by if I want them to get to Toronto from Montreal on time. I was going to give myself at least over a week just in case.

I know I read I could enter 2 different specialty IPAs but I was wondering if anyone could confirm? I have a New England style IPA I just bottled as well as a black IPA I am bottling in a few days. They're both 'American' style IPAs, but definitely fall under the category of "specialty." I entered another NEIPA I had made over the summer as an "American IPA" but lost points on the haziness and lower bitterness, resulting in a 42/50 (silver). Maybe I could have scored a gold in the right specialty category?
ercousin

Post #9 by ercousin » 2 months ago

twistandstout wrote:Awesome news. I just regret I didn't start prepping for this earlier, but then again I don't have the system here to brew many batches simultaneously. I'll be entering three beers. I'm wondering when I should ship them by if I want them to get to Toronto from Montreal on time. I was going to give myself at least over a week just in case.

I know I read I could enter 2 different specialty IPAs but I was wondering if anyone could confirm? I have a New England style IPA I just bottled as well as a black IPA I am bottling in a few days. They're both 'American' style IPAs, but definitely fall under the category of "specialty." I entered another NEIPA I had made over the summer as an "American IPA" but lost points on the haziness and lower bitterness, resulting in a 42/50 (silver). Maybe I could have scored a gold in the right specialty category?

Yep, two specialty IPAs is allowed, as long as they are different beers. Sounds like yours are.

42 is an amazing score, congrats! IPA is a tough category to medal in. Some haze is allowed in 21A, but usually not to the level of NEIPA. NEIPA is included in 21B, just say New England IPA as the style. Can't say how you would have scored in a different category without having tasted the beer, sorry!

twistandstout

Post #10 by twistandstout » 2 months ago

Yes, I'll enter this one as a NEIPA. I think it's even better than the one I won silver for. I also wet-hopped this one with home-grown, freshly picked cashmere hops along with other varieties so it packs quite a punch.

One of my beer will most likely still be carbing up as it is being shipped. I was going to opt for ground mail Montreal to Toronto because I have no idea what the consequences of attitude shifts (airplane) would be on a beer that is carbing in a glass bottle, but that may be me being too overly cautious... :drunk:

Return to “General Beer Discussion”