"milky" taste in IPA/hop combos/racking from fermenter

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
twistandstout

"milky" taste in IPA/hop combos/racking from fermenter

Post #1 by twistandstout » 3 months ago

I just brewed my first NEIPA. I used 2-row, flaked oats, white wheat, honey malt, and acid malt. I double dry-hopped it with a combo of galaxy, citra, and mosaic. It fermented for 4 days, I added the first dry-hop at 1.022 gravity, then dry-hopped again 5 days later. I left that there for 3 days and bottled. I cracked my first bottle yesterday, 7 days after bottling. The carbonation is good and it pretty much smells like tropical fruit juice. However, there is this slightly slick, and what I can only refer to as slightly "milky" taste to it. The same thing happened in the spring when I brewed a red pale ale, also dry-hopped a lot with mosaic and citra. Maybe it's a consequence of this hop blend? I'm not too sure how to describe it. Could it be oxidation? I know these beers are quite sensitive to oxidation cuz of all the hops, and I do rack to a bottling bucket with priming sugar and then bottle. I read diacetyl has a buttery butterscotch flavour to it, but I can't say my beer does.

I'm currently fermenting another neipa. In order to reduce risk of oxidation, I was considering bottling right from the fermenter, not racking to another bucket, mixing priming sugar, etc. I was thinking I could add priming sugar directly to the fermenter and mix it around really well, to reduce unnecessary oxygen from entering.

Thoughts, tips, advice?

Thanks! :cheers:
ben58
Favourite Beer: APA

Re: "milky" taste in IPA/hop combos/racking from fermenter

Post #2 by ben58 » 3 months ago

What are the percentages of your grains. The mouthfeel in NEIPA comes mainly from the oats.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #3 by Reignman » 3 months ago

More aging will help.
twistandstout

Post #4 by twistandstout » 3 months ago

I put a lot of oats and white wheat, totalling around 25% collectively. I understand that especially the oats will contribute to a slicker mouthfeel. I always thought these beers were meant to be drank very fresh. It is possible that it'll mellow out in a week or two, I guess.
Brewmaster22
Favourite Beer: Red ale

Post #5 by Brewmaster22 » 3 months ago

Time is all you need

Return to “General Beer Discussion”