Help with water profile for IPA

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
twistandstout

Help with water profile for IPA

Post #1 by twistandstout » 4 months ago

I'm brewing my first neipa today and was wondering if I could get some help with my water. I'm using labrador spring water and it has the chemistry profile on the side of the bottle which is nice. I don't have ph strips but I do have some calcium chloride I could use.

Does anyone have experience with adjusting water profiles to maximize conversion and hop aroma? I'm only using pale malts - 2 row, white wheat, oats, carapils, bit of honey malt.

If I were to ballpark this one, which I know isn't ideal, how much ca chloride should I add? I'll be mashing in 5 gallons. According to a water chemistry calculator, I'm -46 away from the target calcium and -144 away from the target chloride. This was found by comparing the labrador water to the recommended water for a good neipa.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20170707_084500292.jpg
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Help with water profile for IPA

Post #2 by brhenrio » 4 months ago

I wouldn't add any more chloride. If you have it add some gypsum. Doing a little tinkering ~4 grams gets you close to where you should be for a ipa.
In the fermentors: Cheaters Red Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3:
Up Next: NEIPA or Down the Drain Heferwiezen
twistandstout

Post #3 by twistandstout » 4 months ago

I read an article by hill farmsteads brewer which stipulated not adding too much sulphate to a neipa and upping the chloride to produce a silkier mouth feel. He recommended not going above 200ppm for chloride and settling somewhere in the 100s, can't remember exactly. If I look at my water chemistry, does this mead my chloride is at 6ppm? That's extremely low. If I wanted to get it into the low to mid 100s, how much calcium chloride should I add? 4g? I'm using 5 gallons of this spring water. I don't have gypsum at the moment nor do I have a ph test kit but I'm assuming with using only pale grains that my mash ph will be way too high and I'd need to bring it down?
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #4 by brhenrio » 4 months ago

Found a recipe and this is what it calls for: Ca=100, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100. Playing with a water calculater it is easy to get the calcium you need, but hard to get the so4:cl ratio. I dont have enough experience to help you more than this, but i would take it easy on the additions once you get enough calcium, as it will help in bringing down the pH for mash.
In the fermentors: Cheaters Red Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3:
Up Next: NEIPA or Down the Drain Heferwiezen

Return to “General Beer Discussion”