Batch Sparging VS Fly Sparging

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.

What do you feel is the best sparging Technics

Batch sparging is what I find works best
93%
Fly Sparging works best for me
7%
No Sparging is very efficient
No votes

Total votes: 15
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Batch Sparging VS Fly Sparging

Post #1 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Now I use to fly sparge a lot, tried batch this weekend past and found my efficiency increased almost 20 percent ? Now I will be honest, I am working with some new equipment, 15bk aluminum has been turned into a insulated mash tun and I have a 19 gal bk now. This past as usual for my IPA recipe, I added strike water at 162ish F and when I added my grain and when I was done stirring, it dropped to 144 F in the mt. I raised it within 35min to 148 F where I mash my IPA's. Now when testing my sg it was at my OG after batch sparging LOL and after the boil the OG was higher than calculated. I messed around with the efficiency setting in BS and found that 90% gave me the proper OG I received.

Anyway what are everyone's thoughts and experiences with sparging methods. Which do you feel is best for you and yields the best results, No sparging method included please. Cheers all !!! :cheers:
Tony

Re: Batch Sparging VS Fly Sparging

Post #2 by Tony » 3 years ago

I batch sparge. I find it the easiest for me to do and also the fastest. My efficiency suffers a little, but a little extra grain
don't cost much seeing that I have to wait less to finish my sparge.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #3 by Reignman » 3 years ago

I have fly sparged in the past and didn't like it. Batch sparging is the easiest method for me.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #4 by Warthaug » 3 years ago

I flied for years, but due to limited funds setup a batch system when re-building my brewery (with the intent of upgrading to fly ASAP). Did one batch of beer, swore off fly sparging for life. I cannot compare efficiencies - my new system is totally different from the old one - but its good enough for me (75-80%).

Anyone got tips for improving batch-sparge efficiency?

Bryan
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post #5 by ruf1 » 3 years ago

flying seems to work well for me, i also am limited to a 20 qt mt so dont have the room for batch. i always seem to get my og right on for most brews that i do .....cheers ..will be up grading to larger mt soon and will try the batch method.
TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Post #6 by TRG » 3 years ago

Either works, really. If you have a separate HLT and pump, fly is very easy. Batch is good too, I found my efficiency went up when I'd stir for a good ten min, and then let it sit another ten min, then drain the second runnings.
PowellPride
Favourite Beer: Muskoka Summer Weiss

Post #7 by PowellPride » 3 years ago

My first three batches I used the batch method and hit really good efficiencies. I switched to fly sparge and noticed efficiency gone down a lot. Some fly sprge batches came out with 1.040 and 1.037 where I expected them to come out closer to 1.050. Granted there are a lot of variable at play and my sparging methods may not be to blame. From now on and starting tonight its gonna be batch sparge all the time!
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #8 by Canuck » 3 years ago

Tony wrote:I batch sparge. I find it the easiest for me to do and also the fastest. My efficiency suffers a little, but a little extra grain
don't cost much seeing that I have to wait less to finish my sparge.

Same here.

Also, one of the main reasons that I prefer to batch sparge at home is the simplicity of it. I like to multi-task while brewing, so I can do something else while I sparge. You have to be a little more attentive when fly sparging.
TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Post #9 by TRG » 3 years ago

If you wanna talk about efficiency only... the biggest thing I ever did for my eff was not changing sparging methods, it was doing a recirculating mash. I did a test to confirm this. Recirculating during the mash improved my mash efficiency by about 10-12%.
creeg
Favourite Beer: ipa

Post #10 by creeg » 3 years ago

I'm going to have to try that out this Sunday TRG. I usually just let the water do the work, but doing something so simple to increase the efficiency why not.
Stirplate-
Primary-northern english brown,, apa, cream ale, imperial rye ipa

Secondary-
Bottled-
Kegged-belgian strong, irish dry stout, , ipa, northern english brown
Future- couple smash beers, watermelon wheat

Return to “General Beer Discussion”