Fermenting and Conditioning times for best results

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
onmyword
Favourite Beer: APA

Fermenting and Conditioning times for best results

Post by onmyword » 11 months ago

Hi all,

I've been brewing for a few years now and have found that on average, my beers really seem to hit their stride at 6 weeks. 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks in the fridge on gas. I keg and brew lots of APAs. When I bottled it was 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottled at room temp, 1-2 weeks in the fridge.

Some forums really pride themselves on a 10 day primary and 3 day burst carb to get the 'freshest' beer..I think beer that young is too green and needs to mature and condition out. Even with a ferm chamber.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Fermenting and Conditioning times for best results

Post by Warthaug » 10 months ago

Depends on what you're making and how you're brewing. The green flavours you are experiencing are likely a product of under-pitching your yeast, and/or fermentation temperature issues. With good yeast pitch rates, healthy yeast, and a modicum of temperature control, you can turn out a fantastic beer in a 10-14 period. By 6 weeks many styles are already on a downward trajectory - any sort of highly hopped IPA, NEIPA, etc, will have lost a substantial portion of its hop flavour and aroma by that age.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Jackpressure
Favourite Beer: Tap one on my beer f

Post by Jackpressure » 8 months ago

I agree with warthaug I was under pitching for years and sometime I would have great beer in 3 weeks sometime I would have to toss it because it tasted like cloves. Now I pitch 2 packs of dry yeast and my beer is always great. And my last batch was amazing at 12 days that's with 2 days of cold crashing in the primary then keg and carbonate.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 8 months ago

I keg 38 L at a time. I fine them both and tap one keg. The other one sits cold for a few weeks until the first one kicks. The second keg always tastes better than the first. I don't brew a lot of APA'S but do agree that the hop flavour decreases in the second keg compared to the first.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 8 months ago

I enjoy maltier english beers, and have always found that if i rush those ones, espevially if i underpitch or dont leave it lomg enough on the yeast cake that they will get better after a couple weeks.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour, Gentleman's Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Kicked