Primary Fermenters

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
bargoon
Favourite Beer: Chestnut Ale

Primary Fermenters

Post #1 by bargoon » 2 weeks ago

I see some people primary fermenting in a plastic brew bucket and others using a carboy. Besides ease of cleaning, is one better than the other?
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Re: Primary Fermenters

Post #2 by Mr_Tastyfish » 2 weeks ago

Plastic buckets work fine, but are prone to staining and can hold onto smells (though this doesn't seem to normally affect the flavour from one beer to the next). Plastic is also much easier to scratch during regular cleaning, and these scratch marks can potentially harbour bacteria that could infect a batch of wort. Using glass carboys eliminates these issues. They really aren't that difficult to clean, but breaking one has sent more than one brewer to the hospital for stitches. There are of course, other options like the Better Bottle or Fermonster (both made of PET plastic) or more expensive stainless steel fermenters. Which is "better" all depends on what qualities you really desire in a fermenter.
In The Fermentors...
Juicin' IPA
Something Brown
In The Bottles...
Blonde Ale
Apple Cider #2
Raspberry, Orange and Tangerine Mead
Cooper's Ginger Beer

Plus a wide selection of wines made by Ms_Tastyfish
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #3 by brhenrio » 2 weeks ago

Mr_Tastyfish wrote:Plastic buckets work fine, but are prone to staining and can hold onto smells (though this doesn't seem to normally affect the flavour from one beer to the next). Plastic is also much easier to scratch during regular cleaning, and these scratch marks can potentially harbour bacteria that could infect a batch of wort. Using glass carboys eliminates these issues. They really aren't that difficult to clean, but breaking one has sent more than one brewer to the hospital for stitches. There are of course, other options like the Better Bottle or Fermonster (both made of PET plastic) or more expensive stainless steel fermenters. Which is "better" all depends on what qualities you really desire in a fermenter.

What mr tastyfish said. I have gone through carboys buckets and am now using ss brew bucket. Carboys can be a pia to clean and i almost sent myself to the hospital breaking one, and i have had a bad batch out of a plastic bucket that seemed to affect the next batch as well.
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #4 by Reignman » 2 weeks ago

I have 2 plastic carboys. I use oxiclean to clean them ( soaked overnight ) and it seems to work fine. No more glass for me after nicking an artery a couple of years ago. Very light and easy to move around.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #5 by Warthaug » 2 weeks ago

I use plastic buckets and carboys, depending on the beer being brewed. Plasitc is great for fast turn-around beers, or anything you want to open-ferment, but as others have stated already you need to take care with your cleaning to avoid scratching it. My current bucket is 6 years old, about 50 brews in, and I've not had any issues with flavour/aroma transferring from one beer to the next. I do not brew sours (with the exception of kettle sours which are boiled after souring) in my plastic fermenters.

I use glass carboys for any beer requiring more than a few weeks in primary (big beers), or which needs protection from oxygen (IPAs), or which has souring bugs in it. Down side is that they can be dangerous if broken, so take care!

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post #6 by ECH » 1 week ago

I use a Fast Ferment for all of my fermentation needs unless I am doing a Lager/Pils, which needs to go in the fridge (FF is too big for the fridge), or if I am doing something with a Brett or Lacto yeast, in which you don't want to use plastic for.

As far as cleaning, I fill it up with hot water and oxyclean, and let it sit for a day. Rinse with hot water, and viola. The plastic of the FF will take on a smell, mostly from dry hops I have used in it, but it hasn't affected any of the brews I have put through it.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”