Tropical pale ale/IPA - help with brewing

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
twistandstout

Tropical pale ale/IPA - help with brewing

Post #1 by twistandstout » 2 weeks ago

I am planning on brewing a tropical pale ale/IPA quite soon. While I originally wanted to add in actual tropical fruits like passion fruit, guava, mango, etc, I've settled on using primarily hops that evoke tropical fruit aromas and flavours.

I was wondering if anyone here has brewed something similar? I've been debating which hops to use for a while but have somewhat settled on this combination:

Azaaca
El Dorado
Galaxy

I am also considering Citra, but I've already brewed so much with that hop.

Any advice or guidance? Thanks!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: Tropical pale ale/IPA - help with brewing

Post #2 by ECH » 2 weeks ago

Actually doing the same for my next 2 brews, but more NE Style IPA

First one using Simcoe (just a 1/2oz for bittering), Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy in the whirlpool and 2 dry hop additions, and the 2nd one Simcoe (bittering), Simcoe, Amarillo and Mandarina Barvaria in the whirlpool and 2 dry hop additions
twistandstout

Post #3 by twistandstout » 2 weeks ago

Yes, I was also going for a more NE style, with the haze and all. I'll be adding wheat and oats to the grain bill as well.

What will your two dry hops consist of? I'm looking for that pungent tropical fruit aroma that hits you in the face the moment you take that first whiff. I've never dried el dorado or azaaca so I'm curious to see what effect they will have, although I'm familiar with citra and galaxy and know they can most likely provide me with what I'm looking for. I also have an ounce of lemondrop I could use.
ECH

Post #4 by ECH » 2 weeks ago

Same as in the whirlpool.

First one is Vienna, Wheat and Oats, little 6 row to convert, and then Light DME, .5oz Simcoe at 60, 1oz each of Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy at 1min, another oz of each in a 20min whirlpool, another oz of each about 3 days into fermentation, and then another oz of each once fermentation is finished for another 3 day.

Second one is just wheat and oats with 6 row to convert and DME, .5oz of Simcoe at 60, 8oz of Corn Sugar a 60, 2oz each Amarillo, Simcoe and Mandarina Bavaria for a 30min whirlpool, 2oz of each again 3 days into fermentation, and another 2oz of each once fermentation is done for 3 more days. This one is actually a version of the one I used for a home brew competition at a local brewery here last fall. Didn't come anywhere near winning (which I didn't expect to), but wasn't near the bottom either, kind of a test batch if they decide to have it again this fall with the same beer style.
ECH

Post #5 by ECH » 2 weeks ago

Oh and both fermented with Yeast Bay Vermont Ale
twistandstout

Post #6 by twistandstout » 2 weeks ago

Sweet recipe. I was wondering that yeast as well. Next week, I'll be touring new england and will stop at the big vermont breweries to do a bit of research on NEIPA's. I will brew mine upon my return :cheers:
ECH

Post #7 by ECH » 1 week ago

Just finished fermenting the first batch, poured off a small sample to check the gravity, and it was right on the money. Had a taste. Like I poured 5 gallons of Tropicana OJ in there. Don't think this one will last long.
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #8 by brhenrio » 1 week ago

Sounds great. Turn out nice and cloudy like you wanted?
In the fermentors: Air
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: Snow Dayy Mild
Conditioning: Wise Guy Wiezen
ECH

Post #9 by ECH » 1 week ago

Yeah, like full pulp OJ, without the pulp
ECH

Post #10 by ECH » 1 week ago

With the 2nd round of dry hopping (Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy) it has an even more pronounced nose of pineapple and passion fruit. Surprisingly got a little bit of a hop bite even with only a 1/2oz of Simcoe at 60 mins, the rest of the hops are all at 1min, whirlpool or dry hopped.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but is surprising. Might temper a bit once it has time to carb up in the bottle.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”