Custom Ranks

Official communications to and from the Canadian Homebrewers Forum management.
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Custom Ranks

Post by XXXXX » 6 years ago

Hello all :)

Some of you have requested custom titles and different ranks for users, depending on how much they have posted. As this is a community forum, I'm looking for your input on:

- Name of Rank (displayed under the Username in posts)
- Number of posts required to earn that rank
- Images to represent that rank (would also be displayed under the Username in posts)...I'm not sure if I'll implement images, as it may clutter the board for no reason.

Thanks and happy posting :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Jack

Re: Custom Ranks

Post by Jack » 6 years ago

Instead of ranking based on number of postings, is there a way to rank based on knowledge and helpfulness? It may be more difficult, but then newbies could be sure they're taking advice from an 'expert' instead of someone who maybe is just chatty. Just a thought.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 » 6 years ago

Personally I don't think the forum needs a ranking system.
I believe that everyone here has something to contribute, no matter how big or small, and that we're all part of this community to learn and advance the craft of homebrewing through sharing our knowledge.
I don't believe labeling users anywhere from "uber beer geek" to "don't know squat" will help the users be better brewers.
Most people are able to read through multiple replies to a topic and through their powers of reasoning and deduction decide which is the best answer.
Just my 2¢.

If a ranking system were to be implemented most likely the easiest way would be to have a "Was this answer helpful" button with either "Yes" or "No" next to the users post.
The yes or no votes could be tallied and displayed under our avatars, say like the "joined", "posts" or "location" fields.
Now, to play devil's advocate, this could give a very distorted view of who offers good information though. Example: What if there is a regular poster who gives good, but not great tips, but is often voted as helpful since they are on the forum so frequently. Then we could have a seasoned veteran of brewing who knows everything under the sun but is not on the forum all that often. He could potentially offer superior advice, however, since he does not visit the forum as often he is deemed, according to the ratings, as "not helpful".
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Randy

Post by Randy » 6 years ago

Personally I think the forum is working the way it is. I have learned how to make a great tasting beer with the help of all you guys, just from reading the posts and asking questions along the way. I enjoy reading the post on who is making what kind of beer allgrain or can kits or even the projects that they are building and showing us .I personally think we learn something new every day from the veteran brewer right down to the newbie brewer..Why should we earn a rank?? I thought we are in this together to teach each other to make beer..Cheers....

Jack

Post by Jack » 6 years ago

I agree with Sixstring and Randy for the most part. I think their points certainly apply to everyone that's been on here for awhile or to someone who takes the time to read all the previous postings. A ranking sustem would really only benefit newcomers, and while there's nothing wrong with that, isn't it better for them to fully immerse themselves by reading and getting involved and truly becoming 'valued members'? Maybe instead of ranking the members, the most informative and helpful posts could be flagged as a kind of quick access for newcomers or casual members who aren't into pouring over everything on here. I think most guys here know who to take advice from already but a quick access to posts about key info might help, especially as the number of members and postings grow.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

stanzela

Post by stanzela » 6 years ago

I know I'm a relative newcomer to the site, but I've got to say (agree) that it might even be the bolder, braver move to leave the ranking system out.

The fact that this is a community means that there will be plenty of checks and balances. If bad advice is given, it's likely that members will pick up on it, and quickly point that out. I know that plenty of sites operate off of the 'ranking' system, but in many instances it just becomes a sh*t show, and people start commenting just to watch their rank increase, rather than out of true interest or sympathy. The number of posts things is tricky. I've been unemployed for the last little while, and have been able to post a lot - but I am nowhere close to knowing all that there is to know. The true professionals are probably a lot busier than I am, and so while they may have more consistently GOOD advice, a ranking based on the number of posts would have them trailing.

In any case, I do really like some of the above-mentioned suggestions: ranking individual posts (maybe a thumbs up system), or Sixstring's 'helpful/not helpful' idea. There is also the option of including 'stickies' or some sort of marker to immortalize really useful threads. Say, for instance, that someone takes it upon themselves to post a very thorough step-by-step of a mash-tun build, or of a bottling day, these would be great threads to quarantine and perhaps place in a category of their own for newbies or those looking for solid advice on a certain topic. The beauty of this method is that it can be user-prompted. If the users see something that they feel is really useful, they can simply make the suggestion/request that it be stickied or 'immortalized' (I know that's a silly one, as this is an archive where nothing really leaves...). Executed properly, this might even help to avoid the same question being asked over and over again, and where it is, users can point the question-asker to the 'stickied' thread, rather than post the same answer for the dozenth time.

Either way, I think this is a great forum, and in the brief time that I've been a member, I really do feel as though I'm a part of an actual community. Canada really is great for that - such a small place when it comes down to it. I feel like a neighbour to brewers from BC to PEI when it comes to the discussions taking place on here.

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing » 6 years ago

I would like to see a thumbs up feature, for great posts.

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 6 years ago

Awesome feedback guys; I'm going to scrap the rank idea.

I'm looking into a Thumbs Up button.

Thanks guys
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Randy

Post by Randy » 6 years ago

XXXXX Thumbs Up to you Sir for a good post.....Cheers............