Upgrades and such!

Official communications to and from the Canadian Homebrewers Forum management.
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: Upgrades and such!

Post #11 by JimmehBrew » 1 year ago

It's Alot more enjoyable in mobile format on the phone now , thanks Adam :cheers:
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post #12 by XXXXX » 1 year ago

Venari wrote:I don't see any green lock icons, just the blank white page where it should be.

What kind of sensitive data is on these forums that would require encryption? I don't use the same password for this site as others, so I don't know if encryption is necessary for me.

Hey! Good questions/comments :)

You're right that some pages won't have the green lock icon until I resolve some final issues. The problem is with avatars and banners hosted elsewhere, where the image isn't served over SSL. I'm going through things one by one until it's fixed. For example, this page should be good now... It's just a matter of me browsing through pages and finding images that weren't linked securely.

So you asked essentially what's the point of SSL on a site like this, and you're also right that there's very little sensitive information on this website. We don't sell anything, we don't ask for donations, yadda yadda yadda. No credit card numbers, not even real world addresses.

The biggest risk is the one you identified: passwords. The passwords are stored in an encrypted format on the server. That means even if a would-be hacker gained access to the server's data, they still wouldn't have your password. Hell, I can't even tell you what your passwords are, and that's how it should be.

However, before SSL was enabled on this website, your password was being sent in "clear text" over the internet. Essentially, it's the same as writing your username and password on a postcard and mailing it across the country. At every step along the way, anyone interested could read it.

Does that matter for CHB itself? Not really. The danger lies where people use the same password at various websites which might have more sensitive information/personal details & conversations, like paypal, or banking, or facebook, email, etc. I know better, yet I still use the same password(s) at different places... there's no way I can remember 40 different passwords.

For you, you're right, encryption might not present much of a benefit. But there are many more users it might help out.

So, to answer your question, it's just best practice, and it doesn't cost anything for you :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
XXXXX
Administrator

Post #13 by XXXXX » 1 year ago

JimmehBrew wrote:It's Alot more enjoyable in mobile format on the phone now , thanks Adam :cheers:

Thanks Jimmeh! I agree... it'll take more tweaking yet, but it's worlds and worlds better. The mobile crowd (myself included) has been pushing for an app, or tapatalk support, for some time now... hopefully this will do for the time being :)

Apps like forumrunner and tapatalk present their own problems.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
BrewMiser

Post #14 by BrewMiser » 1 year ago

Would there be a way of making the icon that shows new posts more obvious? I find it very difficult scrolling down to stop at the newest post.
Thanks for all your hard work maintaining this site. Much appreciated!
XXXXX
Administrator

Post #15 by XXXXX » 1 year ago

BrewMiser wrote:Would there be a way of making the icon that shows new posts more obvious? I find it very difficult scrolling down to stop at the newest post.
Thanks for all your hard work maintaining this site. Much appreciated!

Yes sir, I'm going to make new beer icons. Unread/new posts will be full. Read posts will be empty. Thanks for the input and patience :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post #16 by ruf1 » 1 year ago

Wow! what a change from the old site.

Looks excellent Adam, one thing i noticed when the forum came up was the old site had canadian home brewers with the mugs on both sides of upper screen- now it is only on the left of my screen.
I had no idea that the host of the old site was in Chicago and there was NO encryption allowing anyone to see passwords.

Looks great, thanks for the great work you do to bring us this site Adam. :cheers:

Return to “Canadian Homebrewers Forum Announcements”