Hello brewers

New to Canadian Homebrewers? Tell us a little about yourself and your homebrewing setup!
Terry
Favourite Beer: all

Hello brewers

Post by Terry » 1 year ago

New to this forum.
I live in Maple Creek, Sask.
I've still got all my equipment for all grain brewing (grinder, mash tun, boiler, wort chiller etc.) I made lots of brews (most very drinkable) even made a few lagers but for some reason quit a few years ago.
Anyway I'm thinking about making some beer.
The big thing is I hated was the heavy lifting of boilers and carboys. I think I will have to purchase a pump. I think a conical fermenter would be cool too but wow expensive.
First problem is the place I used to buy base malt no longer sells it as far as I know. I used to buy by the 50 pound sack. Where do Sask people buy in bulk???
Anyway probably not supposed to be asking these types of questions on this page, so I'll just say "Hello"

Terry

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: Hello brewers

Post by Reignman » 1 year ago

Welcome :)

I use a pump from my sparge tank to my mash tun for the second runnings. Other than that, I use gravity to go from the mash to my boil kettle. As far as bulk grains go, you shouldn't have any problems getting grains in bulk in Sask since well, that is where it is grown isn't it? Check out homebrew clubs and ask them where they get their bulk grains.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 1 year ago

Terry, I grew up in Shaunavon and lived a couple years in Maple Creek. Welcome to the forum. As for bulk grain, talk to the guys at black bridge brewing in swift, i know they were home brewers. Or check out the one of the breweries in medicine hat. As for actual homebrew shops i am not aware of any unless you hit calgary, edmonton, saskatoon or regina.
Look at fast ferment conicals. They are a pet plastic but are a conical. I know costco had a kit with one on theur website at one time.
And i am in northeast alberta now, i buy most of my stuff from obk or hop dawgs but buy bulk in edmonton, or get a local brewery to buy me a sack.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 1 year ago

Reignman wrote:Welcome :)
As far as bulk grains go, you shouldn't have any problems getting grains in bulk in Sask since well, that is where it is grown isn't it? Check out homebrew clubs and ask them where they get their bulk grains.
Too bad the big guys, cargill, control most of the malt in saskatchewan as they own the only big malting plant.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Terry
Favourite Beer: all

Post by Terry » 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies.
I could try one of the Medicine Hat micros, I kinda thought they might not be to keen on supplying home brewers, competition you know.
I'll try finding some more Sask folk, see what they do for bulk malt.

Terry