Newbie from New Brunswick

New to Canadian Homebrewers? Tell us a little about yourself and your homebrewing setup!
NBBrewer
Favourite Beer: IPA

Newbie from New Brunswick

Post #1 by NBBrewer » 10 months ago

I'm new to all grain home brewing although I have recently hacked a stout kit and an IPA kit. The stout was very tasty and the IPA is bottle conditioning. I have a background in chemistry and career experience in the lab and as a Quality assurance quality control coordinator. I'm starting small and I have a grain mill that I will try to hook a motor up to and I am currently shopping for a kettle. I think an electric element, temp probe and ball valve along with a hop spider and false bottom is where I am headed. 10 gallons seems to be the size I am looking at getting. Brewing with a bag will be what I do until I get this additional equipment.

Here is a recipe I am contemplating. Let me know what you think.

Dean’s Black IPA
1. 5 lbs(2268 grams) 2 row malt
2. 1 lbs(454 grams) caramel malt 80L
3. 0.4 lb(182 grams) black patent malt
4. 0.4 lbs(182 grams) chocolate malt
5. 0.5 lbs(227 grams) quick oats
6. 1 oz cascade hops 60 min
7. 1 oz cascade hops 20 min
8. 1 oz cascade hops 10 min
9. 1 oz dry hop
10. Heat 2 pots one with 9.2 litres (2.43 gallons mash at 156 degrees F) one for sparge with 9.2 litres (2.43 gallons at 168 degrees F)
11. Alternatively mash more grain and add water to primary fermentor until volume is at 3.17 Litres and OG is at 1.061
12. Keep the mash at 152 to 154 degrees for 1 hour.
13. Sparge grain bag at 168 degrees with and boil for 1 hour
Batch Size 3.17Gallons
Boil Size 4.00Gallons @ 60 min
OG1.061
FG1.015
Color 42.9° SRM
Efficiency75%
Bitterness 61.7 IBU (tinseth)
BG:GU 1.00
Alcohol 5.9% ABV
Calories 207 per 12oz
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Newbie from New Brunswick

Post #2 by brhenrio » 10 months ago

I would cut the 20 minute cascade addition and add it at flameout. Anything that boils longer than 10 minutes contributes more to bitterness than to flavour and aroma. Most ipas are loaded with additions in the last 10 minutes and after flameout. Cant see any other problems in my opinion. And keep in mind that i prefer hop flavour and aroma over bitterness!
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
NBBrewer

Post #3 by NBBrewer » 10 months ago

brhenrio wrote:I would cut the 20 minute cascade addition and add it at flameout. Anything that boils longer than 10 minutes contributes more to bitterness than to flavour and aroma. Most ipas are loaded with additions in the last 10 minutes and after flameout. Cant see any other problems in my opinion. And keep in mind that i prefer hop flavour and aroma over bitterness!

Thank you brhenrio. Yes I saw the graph that shows that 10 minutes is the cut off for flavour additions of hops. I thought I would max it at 10 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes is better?I'm also reading where primary fermentation additions of hops is mostly lost while CO2 is expelled through the air lock. Wouldn't the same happen to hops added at flame out? How long is the hop addition in contact with the wort if shortly after flame out you cool and add it to your primary fermentor?

Cheers
NBBrewer
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #4 by brhenrio » 10 months ago

5 minutes is better. Research whirlpooling hop additions. Basically you knock out flame and allow wort to cool slightly, then add hops and wait for 10 minutes then cool it more. Most recipes that call for this technique do not have much for 60 minute addition, usually start at a 30, then have a bunch from 10 minutes in. This is becauze there is more utilization on all the hops because it isnt immediately cooled. And for the most part dry hops are added once primary fermentation has completed. And dry hopping should be kept to ~4 days max 7 to avoid grassy flavours from developing.
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
NBBrewer

Post #5 by NBBrewer » 10 months ago

Thanks again brhenrio. This is my new hop schedule for 3 gallons;

1 oz cascade hops 60 min
1 oz cascade hops 5 min
1.5 oz cascade hops 2 min