Hello from The Northern Interior

New to Canadian Homebrewers? Tell us a little about yourself and your homebrewing setup!
PG Brewer
Favourite Beer: Canadian

Hello from The Northern Interior

Post #1 by PG Brewer » 10 months ago

Hey everyone. Just discovered the site and it's nice to see a Canadian forum. I'm a fifteen year brewer. Started like most using kits. I've had bad experiences with the beer brewing and focussed mostly on wine which most of the time turn out pretty well. When local fruit comes available I will dabble with that as well. Some have been a little sketchy and knowing that there is alcohol in them I've crossed over to the next step. Brewing has been my family for a long while being that I am a prairie province to BC transplant. I have a small setup and only produce to support my own habit and for the occasional visit from a family member. Brandies are where I put most of my efforts. It's a great hobby that should have the same legislation as the home brewing of wine and beer. Anyone taking up the challenge of talking to our members of parliament to have these changes made?
FranklinNewhart
Favourite Beer: Red Ale

Re: Hello from The Northern Interior

Post #2 by FranklinNewhart » 10 months ago

I do that kind of brewing to. If you know what I mean. I live in South Scatch where there is no shortage of grain. Have you ever considered a craft licence for what you are doing?
PG Brewer

Post #3 by PG Brewer » 10 months ago

Hey Franklin. Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that I was alone out there. A few years back I thought that I would delve back into my heritage(it seems to be the in thing to do right now) Growing up in Manitoba my family and neighbours were involved in the art of brewing. I have relations on both sides of the Manitoba/Saskatchewan border with my mom being from Wolseley. Dad never brewed any for sale. It was only for his own use and for family gatherings(which is another story)
I have been doing mostly Brandys and my setup is self assembled. It's not the prettiest but it does crank out a good product. Just took off an apple batch just yesterday.
I've thought that this hobby of mine should fall under the same guidelines as beer and wine. I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to acquiring a craft licence. It does seem a little overkill but may have to be the way to go.
Looking forward to trading secrets with you and any others that would choose to do so
FranklinNewhart
Favourite Beer: Red Ale

Post #4 by FranklinNewhart » 9 months ago

Get yourself a 30 litre Sanke Keg and some 2 inch Copper tubing. The fittings for the tubing are available at the CO-OP. You might have to order them though. If you take the stem out of the keg and cut it off. The Two Inch fitting will press tight onto it and you just screw it back in backwards. Then you can build your stack on top. I found if you have a lot of old pennies. Older than 1995. The ones newer than that are steel slugs. Cut a slot in them half way across and slip them together and just a little dot of solder to keep then together. They make Perfect Rashigs for refluxing. You can find lots of plans at http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.ph ... 85c64f1f7c I am on that Forum as myself as well so you can connect with me there. That is the place this item should be discussed and not here.
PG Brewer

Post #5 by PG Brewer » 9 months ago

Thanks for the tips. I am on that site as well under the same handle. Chat to you there. Funny you should mention the Coop as I used to work for one out on the coast.

Return to “Introductions”