Hi, from Kelowna, BC

New to Canadian Homebrewers? Tell us a little about yourself and your homebrewing setup!
Mothman

Hi, from Kelowna, BC

Post #1 by Mothman » 11 months ago

Just popping in to say a brief hello from Kelowna, thanks for the add.

I'm planning on (re)entering the homebrew world this spring or summer... or whenever I save up enough bottles from purchased craft brews.

I say (re)entering, as I did, once upon a time (15 years ago?), do an all-extract home brew... so long ago I barely have recollection of having done it... don't even remember drinking that beer o_O ... but I know I did it as I still have the equipment I used at the time bagged up down in the crawl space.

I decided I wanted to give it another go, with plans on starting with partial-mash, or at least extract + specialty grain steeping. Think it'll be more fun and produce better beer. (finding it hard to locate beer kits that are truly partial mash though, as opposed to just specialty grain steeping.... but maybe that's a topic for another forum here)

I don't have quite all the gear I think I need, but have most of it, hope to add the missing pieces as I find them at an affordable price, and I have the good fortune of being good buds with one of those "guys who has everything", so the first batch or two will be done in tandem at his place, using his brew kettle, immersion chiller, etc.

Reading so dang much, getting confused, then unconfused, then stressed, then not lol. Quite the rabbit hole this home brewing thing is!
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Hi, from Kelowna, BC

Post #2 by brhenrio » 11 months ago

Welcome!
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
Bodhi

Post #3 by Bodhi » 11 months ago

Welcome mothman. There is a book, I think brewing classic styles, that has the grain recipe and the extract/grain recipe. I think that the author actually says that he did interviews with the winners of homebrew competitions, and a surprising percentage were extract/grain brewers.
That being said, I'm a stickler and an all grain guy. But to each their own!

Welcome!
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #4 by brhenrio » 11 months ago

Yes i am reading that one right now. He said that alot of award winners are extract brews with partial mashes.
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
Mothman

Post #5 by Mothman » 11 months ago

Yeah, I am confident good brews can be made with extract + grain.

I think all-grain would be great too, I think the process would be a lot of fun. I don't want to tackle all-grain though, as I don't want to have to invest in a giant brew kettle, mash tun, chiller, likely a propane burner, etc.

I'm looking at brewing on the stove top, but want more involvement, more variety, and eventually the ability to customize recipes (and better results) than 100% extract, so partial mash seems perfect.

My comment about finding Partial Mash kits, or even posted recipes really, is because it seems that a lot of kits/recipes I find online that are listed as Partial Mash are actually extract + specialty grain steeping.

I'm not sure if the resulting quality would be any different, but I feel like the least amount of extract used, the better the potential result?
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #6 by Reignman » 11 months ago

Try to get the freshest extract you can find.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #7 by SmokeyMcB » 11 months ago

Welcome aboard....
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Return to “Introductions”