Page 1 of 1

Small project to automate my 120V RIMS

Posted: |16 Nov 2017|, 21:59
by acsummer
Hi All!!

I am a new member to the board. I love DIY projects and all grain brewing definitely enables my passion.

Long have I used a Tri Clamp RIMS setup with a 120V ULWD element in congunction with an analog thermometer. This past month I decided to utilize the an Inkbird controller to automate the mash temp.

With several 1.5" end caps lying around I decided to drill a 3/8 inch hole to accommodate an inexpensive weld-less thermo-well from my local home brew shop. This would not be an easy task as many will report that stainless steel is very hard to cut through. Patience, two drill batteries, WD40 and a professional grade step bit I was able to cut a hole (although just a bit off center).

IMG_0057.JPG


End result
IMG_0058.JPG


Ready to dry fit the weld-less thermo-well
IMG_0059.JPG


Assembled and ready for a leak test
IMG_0060.JPG


Clamped into the RIMS ready for action
IMG_0063.JPG


After running the PID to raise the water from 55 F to 155 F (4 hours) there were no leaks at all.

I will share pics of the next brew day with the RIMS in action.

Re: Small project to automate my 120V RIMS

Posted: |17 Nov 2017|, 11:16
by brhenrio
Neat idea. When i punched holes in my kettle i used tapping fluid and a stepbit followed by a radio punch. The stepbit was specifically for SS. Still was a PITA.

Re: Small project to automate my 120V RIMS

Posted: |17 Nov 2017|, 22:00
by acsummer
Thanks brhenrio, cutting through the 5mm stainless was by far the hardest on my step bit to date :)