DIY Tap Handles

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

DIY Tap Handles

Post #1 by Venari » 3 years ago

I'm playing around with the idea of customized wood or bone/ivory tap handles for my Perlick 630SS, and have a few questions.

Is there a weight/balance limit? How heavy is too heavy? Should I get them made hollowed out so they'd be lighter?

What parts would I need to attach the customized handle to the faucet? Are they sturdy enough to hold heavy handles?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: DIY Tap Handles

Post #2 by Warthaug » 3 years ago

I made some a long time ago that are still kicking (but in need of an upgrade):
http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/20 ... ndels.html

In terms of weight, there should be a little ring at the base of the tap handle you can tighten/loosen to adjust the feel of the taps; if adding a heavier handle tighten it down. I've seen people with modest sized antlers as handles & white lab tubes full of pennies and fishing luers (no idea what those would weigh; probably close to a kilo for some of them) without apparent issue.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post #3 by Venari » 3 years ago

I managed to score some tusks from a local (Walrus season now), and now I'm debating just polishing them and having them as handles the way they are, or shelling out some money for a local artist to carve something nice from them first.
Attachments
20150814_115124 (1).jpg
Pop can for size reference.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post #4 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

Awesome! Walrus Brewing in Nunavut!

Return to “DIY Projects”