Counterflow Wort Chiller Build

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Counterflow Wort Chiller Build

Post #1 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

20 feet 3/8 soft copper tubing and 25 feet or so of the ground wire from 110 electrical wire which is wrapped and sodered every few feet from start to finish leaving a foot bare at each end.

20 feet of 3/4 clear hosing or you can use a garden hose, but this was only 15.00.

1/2 with 5/8 barb fitting end

1/2 1/2 barbed end

Now this 1/2 to 3/8 compression fitting has to be modified by drilling out with a 13/32 bit is what i used so the centre to fit over the 3/8 soft copper tubing.

1/2 Tee fitting

3/4 femle end to 5/8 barbed end to hook the hose to the water source

Now the 1/2 barbed ends for the tee are for the water source connection and the 5/8 barbed ends fit over the tubing and and into the clear hose that encases the 3/8 tubing. I still need to add some hose clamps but here's the pics anyway :cheers:
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Counterflow Wort Chiller Build

Post #2 by Doc_Drive » 3 years ago

Very nice! Post a video of it in use!
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #3 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

You're selling counterflow chillers now on the cheap bro? Awsome, where do I sign up?? lol....
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
JimmehBrew

Post #4 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Doc I'll make a vid next weekend when I get to brew if I'm lucky, I was suppose to brew my basmati rice pale ale this weekend , but didn't get a chance so maybe next weekend.

Smokey build yer own dude rodlflmao.

Note anyone who wants to build, the fitting numbers are on each photo of the packages.
oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post #5 by oro » 3 years ago

great work Jimmy, should work well
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...
lakerfan824
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #6 by lakerfan824 » 3 years ago

Looking to build my own soon! Just curious, I was looking for copper pipe and the coils I found on the Home Depot website said "for use up to 65d C. Do I need to look for different tubing or will this be fine?
JimmehBrew

Post #7 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

lakerfan824 wrote:Looking to build my own soon! Just curious, I was looking for copper pipe and the coils I found on the Home Depot website said "for use up to 65d C. Do I need to look for different tubing or will this be fine?

Ya know Lakefan, I have never noticed it had a heat rating before in all my years and this is like my 5th chiller build ROFLMAO .

We all , or atleast those that DIY , use these soft copper tubing when we build our chillers and haven't had problems except the bends crack or break and we put them into the bk between 10 and 20 min. Now with this build there will be boiling water ran through it at the end of clean up and the wort will enter while cold water is surrounding it. I font think most don't pay attention to the 65℃ rating like myself, does anyone else ? You could go SS if your concerned, but copper transfers heat better.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #8 by SmokeyMcB » 3 years ago

I think that the 65c rating is for drinking water. There's probably some copper diffusing into the water above that temp. This isn't a problem for beer usually because yeast can use (need actually, I think) some copper to be healthy. I'm pretty sure none of the copper that is in the wort actually is present in the finished beer. That's my understanding anyway...
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
lakerfan824
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #9 by lakerfan824 » 3 years ago

Ya I figured it must not be an issue since so many people use copper tubing for chillers. Thanks!
JimmehBrew

Post #10 by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Here ya go Doc :cheers:

Return to “DIY Projects”