Cold room

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
ben58
Favourite Beer: APA

Cold room

Post #1 by ben58 » 5 years ago

I am about to embark on the build of a cold room. I will post pictures as I progress. The first item purchased is an air conditioner from Home Depot. An LG 5000BTU unit for $98. The room size is 65" x 40" x 86" ( WxDxH ). I will be applying 4" thick of pink poly-styrene covered in white FRP and the AC will be controlled by an STC-1000.
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: Cold room

Post #2 by ruf1 » 5 years ago

let us know for sure how cool you can keep that room, is it main floor or bsmt, my dad has a room in the garage thats 6x8 and it will maintain 60f , insulated with same material, good luck with it......cheers
ben58

Post #3 by ben58 » 5 years ago

It's in the basement. The room is under the front porch. Once it is insulated it will be 112 cubic feet of space, 15 square feet. The AC unit is meant for 150 sq. ft., so it should be able to handle it.
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post #4 by ruf1 » 5 years ago

yes it should do quite well there in the bsmt, good luck.
Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post #5 by Mr_Tastyfish » 5 years ago

One question... Okay maybe two. Is this a window-style AC unit? What do you plan to do about the condensation that the unit will inevitably create?
ben58

Post #6 by ben58 » 5 years ago

Yes, a window type of unit. Home Depot has LG units for $98. As for the condensation, I will have a drip bucket initially, but once the room comes down to temperature it shouldn't create any condensation issues.
Tim L
Favourite Beer: Guinness

Post #7 by Tim L » 5 years ago

Pics please!
On tap:
1 - Oatmeal Stout
2 - Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone
3 - El Dorado SMaSH
Next up: BCS Chocolate Hazelnut Porter
ben58

Post #8 by ben58 » 5 years ago

I have all the materials on hand and I will post pics once I get rolling. Still awaiting delivery of my STC 1000 and I need to empty the room. Also, if I didn't mention this before, Home Depot has the AC units for $98.00. These are LG units with the simple mechanical thermostats which are easily by-passed. I bought a second one to convert into a glycol chiller for my conical fermenters.
Branwilder
Favourite Beer: Bass

Post #9 by Branwilder » 3 years ago

I know this thread is ancient. But I am just wondering how this project turned out ben58?
ben58

Post #10 by ben58 » 3 years ago

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I admit I have been a bit lazy, okay, a lot. The room is done except for caulking the corners and putting in the flooring. Other than that, I have pictures and all waiting to post up.

Return to “DIY Projects”