Warthaug wrote:Resuscitating an oldish thread here, but hoping for a bit more info. I'm in the process of rebuilding my all-grain setup (currently just making brewhouse kits - that's go to go). In the past I've had a 20gal gott-style beverage cooler. It was good for the false bottom I had/have, but had the drawback of a deeper grain bed, meaning more stuck sparges and the like. I've been looking at the systems like the one here, and was wondering:
1) How deep does the grain bed end up being, assuming a normal-sized batch (10-15lbs grain)?
2) Do people batch or continually sparge (I've never tried batch sparging, but was thinking of giving it a go)?
3) Does anyone know what the thermal mass of a system like this is - my brewing software wants to know?
Thanx in advance!
1. Hmm... I never measured how deep the grain bed was, but if I had to guess I'd say about 3-4 inches. Never had any issues with a stuck sparge at all though.
2. I do batch sparging mostly.
3. Uhhh... 2lb Celcius. I have no idea. lol What software do you use?