Simple All-Grain Setup

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
Sixstring78

Re: Simple All-Grain Setup

Post #11 by Sixstring78 » 5 years ago

Warthaug wrote:Resuscitating an oldish thread here, but hoping for a bit more info. I'm in the process of rebuilding my all-grain setup (currently just making brewhouse kits - that's go to go). In the past I've had a 20gal gott-style beverage cooler. It was good for the false bottom I had/have, but had the drawback of a deeper grain bed, meaning more stuck sparges and the like. I've been looking at the systems like the one here, and was wondering:

1) How deep does the grain bed end up being, assuming a normal-sized batch (10-15lbs grain)?
2) Do people batch or continually sparge (I've never tried batch sparging, but was thinking of giving it a go)?
3) Does anyone know what the thermal mass of a system like this is - my brewing software wants to know?

Thanx in advance!

Bryan

1. Hmm... I never measured how deep the grain bed was, but if I had to guess I'd say about 3-4 inches. Never had any issues with a stuck sparge at all though.
2. I do batch sparging mostly.
3. Uhhh... 2lb Celcius. I have no idea. lol What software do you use?
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #12 by Canuck » 5 years ago

I just measured the grain bed of my Czech Pilsner and it was just a shade over 4 inches. I batch sparge only as well.
birvine

Post #13 by birvine » 5 years ago

I think thermal mass is needed if the cooler is not preheated. Add hot water to preheat and see how to leave this constant out of the calculation.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #14 by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Thanx for the feedback; 4" would be a pretty good depth - far better than the 1-2 feet in a gott.

FWIW, thermal mass is simply a measure of the fraction of heat the mash tun will absorb. A gott cooler runs about 0.2-0.3; its a useful number for ease and consistency - no need to pre-heat; you simply start with strike water that when added to grain + cooler, gives you the correct temp.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Swivel

Post #15 by Swivel » 5 years ago

^ Just curious...knowing that, what sort of adjustment factor would you apply (if you didn't have the SW) to the strike water? I still plan to pre-heat mine.

BTW my setup is very similar to what the OP described and works great for me. I recently did a wheat beer, which I understand are a little prone to sticking, but had no trouble. 1/2 lb of rice hulls probably helped a lot.
Primary: Caramel Amber
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #16 by Warthaug » 5 years ago

SwivelHips wrote:^ Just curious...knowing that, what sort of adjustment factor would you apply (if you didn't have the SW) to the strike water? I still plan to pre-heat mine.

Sorry, I missed your reply.

The software (I'm using promash) does the fix for me automatically. Simply enter the grain temp (which is assumed to be the coolers temp), grain weight and desired water:grain ratio and mash temp, and it'll tell you "heat XL of water to Ydegrees"; worked everytime, to within 0.5C.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Tyrsis
Favourite Beer: Sleeman Cream Ale

Post #17 by Tyrsis » 5 years ago

My Mash Tun:
36 quart cooler and some copper pipe and fittings.

I crimped the connections just to keep them from falling apart during a mash.
The hole in the cooler is sealed with silicone, hopefully it will hold.
Vicar's Vice Home Brew Pub
Little Red Johnny Ale - Bottled
Horseman's Head Pumpkin Ale - Bottled
Rigby's Java Brew Coffee Porter - Bottled
Somethings Awrye Rye PA - Bottled
Bohemian Pilsner - Fermenting (10 C)
Tyrsis

Post #18 by Tyrsis » 5 years ago

OK, I am getting really frustrated at not being able to submit pics. It keeps telling me that my pictures are "invalid"

Let's try again,
Attachments
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Post #19 by Stubrew » 5 years ago

Do you plan on drilling holes or cutting slots in the copper?
I just stuck 5ft of stainless braid in mine, but it can be a PITA when it comes to stirring at doughin & sparging.
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.
Tyrsis

Post #20 by Tyrsis » 5 years ago

I started by cutting slots on the bottom, but my drummel died so I finished with holes. They are all on the bottom. The pics showing these didn't work.

Return to “DIY Projects”