Kegerator Draft Tower

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

Kegerator Draft Tower

Post by Patrickivan » 1 week ago

I've finally done it. I bought a wine fridge large enough to house 2 kegs and my Co2 tank (if I want).

And I built a draught tower (because I find most to be incredibly bland).

The faucets (Intertap), shanks, lines, et c, will be delivered by Friday, and I hope to get it together this weekend.

I will be fastening a heavy wood "counter" to the top of the fridge, and the tower will be bolted to that. The thing tower is almost 30lbs in metal, so it needs something stronger that the fridge. Plus the wood top will make it look nicer. I do wood work, so that's no issue.

The inside has a constant on light, that I intend to swap out for a nice cool blue LED.

Hopefully I can do this without screwing up the entire fridge.

And props when due, OBK came through with fixing my screwed up order.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Kegerator Draft Tower

Post by brhenrio » 1 week ago

I think it will look good. Have you looked at running glycol up the tower or a fan directed up to circulate air?
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour, Gentleman's Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: Root Beer
Tap 2: Destined for the drain
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
Tap 4: Kicked

Patrickivan

brhenrio wrote:
<span title="|04 Dec 2018|, 20:03">1 week ago</span>
I think it will look good. Have you looked at running glycol up the tower or a fan directed up to circulate air?

I haven't looked up glycol. I was seriously considering a small blower fan (similar design to a washroom exhaust fan. The kind that looks like a sea shell), and run it off the compressor power circuit.

My primary concern with it being metal, is potential for condensation in warm humid weather. So I needs to be insulated, and I'm stymied at how to do that on the elbows, and still have access to the lines if needed. Maybe put in a larger diameter tube as best I can, and spray between that tube and the inside wall of the tower with expanding foam. That'll leave room to pull out the beer line as needed...

George Nathan

brhenrio

I have seen lots of small computer fans used to circulate air for draught towers on other forms.
In the fermentor: Cherry Brown Sour, Raspberry Sour, Golden Sour, Gentleman's Skids Brown Ale

Patrickivan

My HVAC buddy is onside with having a combination of the lines running through copper tubes, some air space for a fan to blow cool air, and insulation along the inside of the tower...

So I'm going to have the lines in copper. PVC tubing over that, and insulation in between the tower and the pvc. And the blower forcing cool air into the tower.

George Nathan

brhenrio

Sounds like a good plan.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 2 days ago

Almost there. Got all the equipment. The top is stained and sealed. Time to drill some holes today...

George Nathan

brhenrio

Post by brhenrio » 2 days ago

Looks good

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan » 29 minutes ago

Pretty much done. The PVC tube is wedged into a flange that's perfectly snugged into the hole in the fridge.

Still need to run up a cooling hose, but I'm done for today.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1073741822101311494

George Nathan