It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 05:35

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sterile petro gel keg lube
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 10:07 

ive seen alot of posts on all forums that i have browsed of guys using petro gel on keg seals, the gel is food grade sterile petro lube that can be used on food handeling equipment where food prods may come into contact with equip,the issue i have noticed in the last batch of beer is it seems to carb up ok but after a few days the beer is less carbed and leaves a bit of a funny taste in my mouth, i know oils in beer will hinder carbonation and am wondering if this gel lube is causing the problem, i use only a pea sized bit of lube for the entire sealing ring on the corny and just a tiny dab for gas &dip tubes,keg posts. any diff between this prod and the stuff they sell at LHBS...this is 1st time ive used this stuff and the 1st time with this issue......thx for feed back.

Post subject: Re: sterile petro gel keg lube
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013, 21:31 

im getting ready to use some of this stuff on my kegs for my latest batch/failure..i do know you need very, very little, a pencil tip amt squished between 2 fingers, the o-ring should have a faint shine but not be tacky. Thanks for the heads up on the carbing info , I will keep a close eye.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013, 22:59 

I get silicon grease in the faucet aisle of Home Depot. Works better then petrol based grease.

Also, you can buy the real deal from OBK for a better price if you're already popping an order in (and really, why aren't you :P )

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013, 23:34 

Walking_Target wrote:
I get silicon grease in the faucet aisle of Home Depot. Works better then petrol based grease.

Also, you can buy the real deal from OBK for a better price if you're already popping an order in (and really, why aren't you :P )

thats where I got mine actually, but it just says keg lube on the container, no other description. So I just assumed it was what ruf was talking about :rolleyes:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 00:09 

REthx for the replies guys, as for obk, im in vancouver area and shipping would kill me, silicon lube would be an option but im not sure now if the lube was the issue, looking at my notes on that double batch ive now come to realize that the lube wasnt the problem, it was the fact that the harvested notti did not ferment as i didnt make a starter and repitched with US05 and got some funky tastes with those 2 kegs, im now drinking rye pale ale using the same lube and no issues,it must have been the notti yst that was the prob,at least thats what im hoping, the rpa could change to the same funky taste if it is a lube problem, as for shipping costs RE h opsdirect yard sale last yr 3lbs of hops 22.00- shipping 38.00, pretty short distance from yakima to van....cheers

Walking_Target wrote:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 00:16 

another quick post- silicon and petrol grease may be 2 different animals?ive heard some folks use olive oil? yes or no?

Walking_Target wrote:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 19:47 

Petrol grease is from petrol distillates. Think Vaseline. This will eat standard Buena (rubber) orings.

Silicon grease is derived from silicon. It will eat silicon orings. Think DOW-33

You'll find silicon grease at most plumbing shops because most faucets use rubber (buena) orings.

This post was really hard to write without PG-13 content.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 21:51 

thx walkingtarget ill give that a try as i find this grease seems to dry out just in the time it takes to fill the keg, grab the corni lid and the ring is tacky and almost dry, not such good stuff maybe.....cheers

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 00:31 

Get some Petrol Gel. No fuss, no muss, no flat beer, no dried out rings. A little dab will do ya. Might even work for your hair.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 18:34 

kevinmac wrote:
Get some Petrol Gel. No fuss, no muss, no flat beer, no dried out rings. A little dab will do ya. Might even work for your hair.

petrol gel is what im using now kevinmac, others have suggested using the silicon lube from plumbing stores.....cheers