It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:23

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vinoka Cider Kits
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 09:41 

Has anyone had any experience with these? I know I'm silly for investing in a kit to make cider but I did the math and basically between buying 5 gallons of juice, yeast, nutirient and everything else I came out about even (maybe a little over the juice method).

Anyway, I have 5 gallons of cider happily fermenting away in my laundry room but the instructions are fairly vague when it comes to bottling. They are definitely geared toward kegging. There is a step where you are to add something to the mix that prevents the yeast from multiplying before you keg it. Now, logic tells me that I need those yeasties to carbonate in my bottles however I'm a little worried that they'll just keep going and end up producing an off flavor or worse, bottle bombs.

Post subject: Re: Vinoka Cider Kits
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 09:52 

If you're bottling, you could

A) Let it ferment out completely (stable hydrometer readings) then prime to carbonate. You could sweeten with something unfermentable like Splenda to taste

B) Add package to stop the yeast, and bottle a still sweet cider.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 09:58 

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I bought an additive kit called "Crossbow" to make it something like Strongbow, I'd like there to be a bit of fizz.

In other news I'm also pricing kegging stuff (again) because I'm sort of sick of bottling in general!

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 20:01 

"Let it ferment out completely (stable hydrometer readings) then prime to carbonate. You could sweeten with something unfermentable like Splenda to taste"
This is what I did. A bit more sugar per bottle then beer. 1 package of splenda per bottle to back sweeten. turned out really nice.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 20:04 

I made one of these kits recently with the crossbow syrup. If you bottle condition with dextrose, without the preservatives it just ferments completely and the cider ends up very dry but nicely fizzy. The preservative packets in the kit stop the yeast from fermenting the sugars in the bottle of crossbow syrup which might make the cider a bit sweeter but you cannot bottle condition. You might try bottle conditioning with dextrose and add the splenda which will give a little sweetness... that is a good idea... again you have to leave out the preservatives. The end result is very good, though mine was very dry.
Good luck.

Now ready to drink: various Wheat Ales, including my favourite brew, Fizzy Blonde as a wheat ale!