It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 08:02

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving from 5 gallon batches to 10 gallons
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 09:32 

Hi everyone,

I'm considering moving from a 5 gallon system to 10 gallons and hoping to get some input. Right now I have a 10 gallon brew pot and a 10 gallon mash tun (Igloo cooler with false bottom), and I use 6 gallon primary buckets and 6 gallon secondary glass carboys.

I am thinking that a move to 10 gallons only requires me to buy a new brew pot... Does this seem right? Will the 10 gallon mash tun work for most 10 gallon batches? I think it will as I generally batch sparge and on a 5 gallon batch the mash / batch sparges are usually max 4-4.5 gallons of water.

What are people doing for primary/secondary on 10 gallon batches --- do you just split it up into two buckets/carboys?

Kegged and Aging - Hawaiian Pale Ale, Bees Knees Pale Ale, Winter Moon Spiced Apple Cider
On Tap - Holy Cow Chocolate Milk Stout, Hay Bale Blond Ale

Post subject: Re: Moving from 5 gallon batches to 10 gallons
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 10:32 

You're gonna be very tight (even brewing mid gravity beers) with a 10 gal MLT. I have a 10gal MLT myself and recently brewed a 10gal batch of 1.058 Pale Ale. I had to batch sparge twice as I didn't have enough room in my MLT to do the single batch sparge that I normally do. It was a real PITA. Personally, I would look at getting a bigger MLT as well. Also, unless you are using a gravity fed system, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a pump as well. Handling 10 gallons of boiling wort is very heavy and not particularly safe either. Ask me how I know that. ;)

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 10:44 

Interesting... I have always done two batch sparges. Do you get high efficiency doing a single sparge? That would certainly cut out some time on brew day... half an hour or so anyway. Certainly my second sparge is getting a lot less efficency as compared to the first which is clear even just from the colour of the wort.

As for moving the boil pot with hot wort, I don't see that as being a problem for me. I cook on a propane burner and cool with an immersion chiller and then just open the value on my brew pot and have the wort splash down into my primary. The only moving I do is to lift the brew pot from the burner to a higher table after it has cooled to maximize aeration from the splash.

Thanks for your comments. I'll have to think about it. I was hoping not to have to upgrade much to go 10 gallons so it isn't as attractive if I need a new mash tun as well. I already have a pile of dough into my homebrew equipment! :)

Kegged and Aging - Hawaiian Pale Ale, Bees Knees Pale Ale, Winter Moon Spiced Apple Cider

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 11:23 

IMO you need a 15 gallon kettle and a 15 gallon mash tun for 10 gallon batches. I use 58 L beer kegs as mash tun + boiler. I have maxed out my mash tun many times through the years. I usually end up with around 12-13 gallons going into my 14 SS conical. If I was starting over I would buy myself a 20 kettle and never ever have to worry about whether I have enough space in my boil kettle.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 11:26 

Yeah I am looking at a 20 Gallon brew pot. No sense in going 15 and being too tight for boil overs. Even my 9 Gallon right now can be potentially too small for a 5 gallon batch when I want my post boil volume to be 6-6.5 gallons.

Does Igloo make a 15 Gallon cooler?