It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 19:59

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hello from Alberta
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 09:12 

lylo wrote:
..... As I am now getting older and lazier I am looking into a Speidel Braumeister.Do any of you have any experience with it?.....

Lylo

:welcome:

I lived in Alberta for a couple of years around the time you started brewing.

I have a 20L Braumeister and I'm delighted with it. Certainly easier than dealing with coolers and 15usg stockpots, and so compact - self contained. Perfect size to fill a corny keg. The 50L would be better if you are filling a sanke keg - but you'll need stronger muscles than mine - or a hoist - to lift the "malt pipe".

It works best for 6% or lower beers, but double (or even triple) mashing is an option for an occasional "Big Beer" brew. I haven't tried that yet. One day I'll try a double (or triple) barley wine mash. - Others have done it successfully.

I find a fairly coarse 1.2-1.3mm (0.047-0.050") crush on my BC to give the best efficiencies - usually around 85% mash efficiency for 5% beers - less if you stuff more grain into the "Malt pipe". I almost always use a stepped mash profile and it works flawlessly.

The boil is a little gentler than some might use, but it is more than adequate for beers and ales, and PERFECT for lagers. I usually use a 90min boil.

The insulating jacket improves the boil, and the (expensive) copper hood acts as a great funnel for the malt. I connect a 4" flex SS dryer vent tube to it and direct the steam outside via my range hood. The boil is strong enough for boil-overs, even after the hot break if i don't elevate the hood slightly from the rim of the BM.

A fully automated RIMS-type system at this price is a no-brainer for me and my beer needs. I'm delighted with the BM and consider its cost "money well-spent".

I'd say "Go for it!"

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 11:53 

Thanks for the reply wasp. I am quite sure I am going to pull the trigger on this soon,I'm just not sure where I will get from.
The Canadian source. Wants 1950 cdn for it (same as everyone it seems) but with taxes,import fees and shipping it comes in around 2500!
As other choices I am going to Germany this spring and can probably bring it home as luggage and take my chances with customs or,order it from More Beer in the US and take my chances again.The shipping is less from California and from what I have been able to learn,the 300 that the Cdn source wants for importing is about 120 high.
TOO MANY CHOICES! :laugh:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 13:59 

IIRC, DHL has the lowest import fees, I learned this from ordering car parts from the US.

Honey Blonde II

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 15:46 

lylo wrote:
Thanks for the reply wasp. I am quite sure I am going to pull the trigger on this soon,I'm just not sure where I will get from.
The Canadian source. Wants 1950 cdn for it (same as everyone it seems) but with taxes,import fees and shipping it comes in around 2500!
As other choices I am going to Germany this spring and can probably bring it home as luggage and take my chances with customs or,order it from More Beer in the US and take my chances again.The shipping is less from California and from what I have been able to learn,the 300 that the Cdn source wants for importing is about 120 high.

Ah sounds like the store might have the wrong calculations for the product. If the entire import fees are being passed along the consumer is effectively paying taxes twice. What the vendor should be doing is paying the GST to import it and charging you the retail taxes. Not taxing you twice, or about 100 more a 2000 purchase. He gets the GST for importing as a credit as well if done this way.

1 855 KEG BEER

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 00:06 

lylo wrote:

Definitely worth checking out the deal from Germany AND the cost of flying it home. Might work for you.

I bought mine from Morebeer.com for $1950.00 USD delivered to a US address. Then it's just our taxes at the border.
I was out of Canada for 48 hrs, so it was 13% HST on $1150 ($1950 - $800) = ~$150 at the border. Total cost to me ~$2100 CAD - worth every penny! :cheers:

Keep us posted & pm me any questions.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2013, 03:28 

I got it today! :D MoreBeer shipped it complete with,insulating jacket, freight taxes and custom fees for $2173.82 Cdn.
CHS quoted $2579.45 Cdn without the jacket! :( Sorry CHS but for close to 500 bucks I'm shopping across the road. :wave:
Hopefully test run Thursday and baptismal launch Saturday. I can't wait! :cheers:

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2013, 09:03 

Let CHS know what you paid and where you got it from. His prices are the highest in Canada for many things. Liquid yeast - $10.49. OBK - $6.00. I pretty well stopped ordering from him.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2013, 10:24 

I really don't want to raise alot of attention as I am not sure how I avoided paying any duty on this.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2013, 11:09 

Hi lylo!

BIAB is an interesting concept, never tried it, though...

What is your typical efficiency?

Cheers!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2013, 14:24 

Typical mash eff. with BIAB runs around 79 to 85%
Check this out for all the info you could need from the most comprehesive BIAB sit anywhere.
http://www.biabrewer.info/index.php